Sunday, June 22, 2008

Cloth Diapering 101

Yes, I have decided to go with the cloth on diapering. Looks like a big money saver and better on the environment. Zach's been here three weeks, and because he is a preemie, I had to figure out a system that would work for his size and my learning curve...

I have even started another blog! Cloth Diaper Bucket!

So, during the day, we use newborn sized prefolds from www.GreenMountainDiapers.com along with a Snappi, Bummis BioSoft Flushable Liner (large size, cut in half), and a cover. At night I am using disposable diapers, as I am half asleep. But soon I will make the switch to completely cloth. I cannot wait!

I must mention that I love the flatfolds... I use them for everything! For example, burp cloth, nursing top, diaper changing, diaper cover, etc... They're indispensable!

As far as laundry, I've been doing a load every other day. After the first week or so of using the dryer to fluff and de-lint the diapers, I am now drying on the clothes line, which Jason just put up a second line last week. Thankyou Jason, and no, I do not need another that attaches to your shed-ma-hall 50 feet away. Thanks for the offer, though...

The next issue to take care of is the "wipes". We have some store-bought wipes that we are going through like mad. I do have fabric wipes ready and willing to do the job, but I've decided to wait till I get a Thermos pump, so I can have warm water at hand... I think this will make the job easier, and get rid of the majority of the store-bought wipes.

That's that for the diapering... I think. Well, if there are any questions just ask. I studied the GreenMountainDiapers website for months just to get a competent start on all this. Definitely worth it, in my opinion! Go cloth!

No comments: