Monday, October 15, 2007

A busy weekend,


This weekend was chock full of gardening, laundry, um...brback! forgot to hang up the wet load, silkscreening t-shirts for my breast cancer 5k team, computer stuff, and planning for this busy week. Oh, and most importantly, Jason built for us a nice compost bin for ... drum roll... our compost toilette! Well, we just ordered the seat to put on our 5 gal. bucket. And we bought the peat moss last week (you can use partially composted sawdust, too).
Humanure Handbook
amazon link
I have yet to read it, and it is free to the whole world at the above link. Very cool guy!
We will save so much water from not flushing the toilette, I can't wait. I think our standard toilette uses 1.6 gallons? a flush. Already we only flush when we take a crap (sorry to offend...) and, there will be no stench of pee! Hooray! We will compost this stuff for at least 1 year, or is it 2? I will have to read up on it, but the concept seems simple. More to come on this subject soon!
I ordered mesclun seed from HarrisSeeds.com, and they should be here this week. I've already prepared a 4x4 bed just for it.
I picked up some nice plywood on the side of the road. I consider myself a trash collector, and Monday is the prime day to go collecting in my neighborhood. It amazes me what people consider garbage (and what I find as treasure:)

No comments: