Thursday, October 4, 2007

Pumpkins Under Pressure



The past two days have been centered around pressure canning pumpkins. A few of my pumpkins were starting to mold, so I decided to hurry and process them. There was plenty to do.

First Jason cut the pumpkins in half for me, since that first cut is the most difficult for me. Next I pulled out all the seeds, boiled and toasted them. About 4 cups worth... And it took a couple hours.

Then I cubed up the rest of the pumpkins and filled my pressure canner about 3/4 full. Pressure cooked them briefly, as I sterilized my quart jars in the dishwasher. Next, I scooped the freshly cooked pumpkin cubes into the clean quart jars and covered with boiling water. 8 Quarts. Then pressure canned them at 12 lbs for 90min. I intended on 10 lbs, but it was hard to regulate. Voila! Woke up the next morning with 7 quarts of pumkin, and one extra in the fridge.

Yesterday I processed the one large pumpkin that was left over. With it I made 8 pints of orange pumpkin butter. Yum! Found the recipe at www.gardenweb.com

See my other Blog, City Homestead Projects for some pumpkin recipes.

No comments: